Engr. Sule Ahmed Abdulaziz, Chairman of the Board of the West African Power Pool (WAPP) and Acting Managing Director of the Nigerian Transmission Company, has announced that Nigeria has been in discussions to sell unused electricity to four Western African countries through a planned $570 million Northcore Power Transmission Line.
Daily Trust had announced that some 2,000 megawatts (MW) of electricity in Nigeria are not used daily across Generation Companies and may be exported.
Abdulaziz said Nigeria expects new generators from Nigeria via Niger, Togo and Benin to Burkina Faso to participate in energy exports over the 875-kilometre, 330-kilovolt Northcore transmission system.
Progress has been recorded in the project financed by the World Bank, the French Development Council and the African Development Bank. At a meeting in Abuja on Thursday 10 June, energy ministers will discuss issues concerning security in the project.
“The power we will be selling is the power that is not needed in Nigeria. These generators that are going to supply power to this transmission line are going to generate that power specifically for this project. So it is unutilised power.
“In addition, there are some communities that are under the line route, about 611 of them which will be getting power so that there won’t be just a transmission line passing without impact.
“Nigeria has the greatest advantage among these countries because the electricity is going to be exported from Nigerian GenCos. So from that, the revenue is going to be enhanced and a lot of people will be employed in Nigeria.”
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Miyetti Allah Leader Says Fulani Own All The Lands…
- Jaruma Popularly Known For Selling Kayanmata Says…
- COVID-19: 11 African Countries placed on Travel Ban by UK
- Nigerian Man Reportedly Arrested for Selling Drugs…
- Governor of Borno State Babagana Zulum Said Power…
- Power star/Musician Rotimi, and Singer Vanessa Mdee…
- BBNaija Winner, Laycon's Reality Show "I Am Laycon"…
- U.S. Warns Nigeria ISIS and Al-Qaeda are Planning To…