The Saturday attack came barely 24 hours after the Nigerian military launched an operation, codenamed, Tura Ta Kai Bango (we have been pushed to the wall), to take the war back to the terrorist group, which had held the North-East by the jugular for over a decade now.
Some residents of Gujba, who spoke to our correspondent on Sunday, said they heard heavy gunshots, which made residents scamper to safety.
The residents, who spoke to journalists on phone, said their town was attacked by the insurgents who burnt down health facilities and other structures in the area.
One of them, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “Boko Haram stormed our town around 2.30 pm, shot continuously and made our people flee.”
He said the insurgents wreaked havoc on the town for over three hours.
“They razed a primary school and some equipment for the ongoing construction of the town,” he added.
The residents said people had been discussing the impending attack by the insurgents, adding that there were claims that the insurgents sent a letter notifying residents of the raid.
They praised the gallantry of the soldiers, whom they said blocked the way to Katarko to stop the insurgents from making an inroad into the town.
The residents said the troops engaged the insurgents and pushed them back after over one fire of gun battle.
Gujba is about 30 kilometres away from Damaturu, the Yobe State capital, and the attack came three days after Boko Haram insurgents invaded Geidam town, where they burnt public and private property even as they looted shops.
Meanwhile, the Yobe state Governor, Mai-Mala Buni, has commended the military for repelling the Boko Haram attack on Gujba on Saturday.
He said the determination of the security forces in pursuing the insurgents was the reason for the success, adding that this would change the narratives in the fight against insurgency with positive results.
The governor called on the people to always provide useful and timely information on suspicious movements in their communities to government authorities and the security forces for proactive measures.
He, however, regretted the casualties recorded and wished those injured quick recovery.